FAQsUpdatedSaturday August 1, 2020 bySAYFL Board.
Frequently Asked Questions about SAYFL
1. When does registration begin and end? -- We open registration at the end of each school year. Early registration runs through the final day of the combine (at midnight), then late registration runs until the end of August.
1.5 Who can play? -- Any Girl or Boy entering the 2nd - 6th grade in the upcoming season can register for Football or Cheer.
2. What measures does SAYFL take to keep my child safe? -- We comply with USA Football's Development Model which is a nationwide certification program for all our coaches. Our Director of Player Safety and Accreditation (PSA) and League Director are also USA Football Certified Coaches. Our PSA's learn how to properly fit equipment, as weel as recognize the symptoms of concussion and heat illness.They teach proper Shoulder tackling fundamentals that have proven to greatly reduce injuries. Our PSAs check on practices throughout the season to ensure coaches are continuing to teach the proper techniques. We have at least one PSA on site for each game day in case of an injury. We take great pride in our safety record!
3. When are practices and games? -- Following the 3-Day Mandatory Player Combine, coaches draft fair teams and introduce themselves to players and parents as well as share practice times All Practices will be held at Seymour High School, usually practices are 2 hours and are 2 times per week. Games start two weeks after the Combine. We have 6 league game days and do not play the weekend of Octoberfest, however, we do participate in the parade!
4. Who are the officials? -- We have IHSAA certified officials for each game. They instruct the kids on the field along with the coaches, teaching safe play and good sportsmanship! They play a key role in your child's learning. Please be gracious in your praise and be mindful of your conduct during games!
Want to BECOME a registered IHSAA official? Follow this link --> http://www.ihsaa.org/Officials/Licensing/tabid/572/Default.aspx
5. How can I help? -- We are always looking for dedicated volunteers! We need coaches (click on the Become a Coach tab on the home page), team coordinators, game day managers, and general help during our events. Please reach out (Contact Us tab) to volunteer! If you're looking to donate, please click on the Support Us tab on the home page.
6. How will I be updated with league changes? -- Please like us on Facebook: we post all updates there. This website will also reflect any changes and we send emails/texts through the website to those who have enabled that option in their account. Coaches will relay team specific updates to you.
7. How can I apply for a scholarship? -- Scholarship applications are available to download HERE, or you can fill it out real time during any of our live registration events or at the Seymour Boys and Girls Club (attach a copy of your most recent paystub for fast review). Upon award, you can create an account online and the scholarship credit will be added to your account.
8. Will I have to travel in this league? -- No. All league games are in Seymour. However, 5th and 6th Grade League may travel to Brownstown at the end of season.
9. What if we already have equipment? -- You my use your own equipment with board inspection and approval. Your child will need a white helmet (we prefer RIDDELL) and it will need to be inspected by our Player Safety Coach first. Your child needs black pants (we prefer "integrated" pants - pants with the pads in them). As for shoulder pads, we prefer RIDDELL and our Player Safety Coach will need to inspect these as well before your child uses them at practice.
10. We were late to register, can we still participate? -- Yes. Registration is open after the combine and in order to be eligible to play in their first game, your child must have a minimum of THREE (3) CONTACT practices and the balance must be paid in full.
11. What does it cost? -- Early Registration for Football is $100 until the day before the combine, after that it is $120. Early Registration for Cheer is $60 until the day before of the combine, after that it is $80. Online registration offers payment plans and you are welcome to apply for the Goodman Scholarship if there is a financial need. No ahtlete will be turned away due to finances!
12. What equipment do I need to supply? -- SAYFL provides full uniform, pads and helmet that must be returned after the last game. Players will need to supply their own cleats. SAYFL Cheer provides Shirt, Bottoms and Pom-Poms, Cheerleaders will need to proivde bloomers and shoes.